FULL DAY TRIP
THE MOST FORESTED AREA ON THE ISLAND
Capo fronte trail spreads along the most forested area on the island – Dundo, a special reserve of forest vegetation, and Kalifront peninsula covered in oak forest. Besides remains of medieval churches, dry-stone walls, lime kilns, bauxite quarries, and other sites indicating the area having been extensively used in the past, this area stands out for the most well-preserved oak forest in the Mediterranean. The trail is suitable for recreationists and families with children, to whom we suggest an all-day field trip with a swim in one of the picturesque coves. Who knows, if you’re lucky, you might even run into a mouflon (wild sheep) or a deer.
ABOUT THE DUNDO FOREST
The forest Dundo, a protected forest landscape, had an important role in the economy of the island of Rab as a source of good firewood. It belonged to the nuns of the Benedictine nunnery of St Justine in the city of Rab. In the historic sources it is called seraglio Dundo, denoting an enclosed area. The origin of the name is not certain. The expression dundo was used by the Dubrovnik citizens to denote an elderly gentleman, as children address older men, like mister or sir. It is interesting that the word comes from folk Latin on the southern Adriatic, while in the northern Adriatic they would use the word barba for the same person, which originates from the Venetian dialect. There is a legend that once a man, the forest owner or manager, had that nickname and the area was named after him. Another related word is the Italian word donno or donna, meaning Sir or Madam. After the abolishment of the nunnery of St Justine, both state and district managers exchanged in the management of the forest. The property in the area of 109 acres was restored to the Church in 1941. In 1830, a small coal bed was found in the forest Dundo. Near the forestry building, there is a derelict stone lintel which was originally built into the old, much smaller house, the seat of the property. Besides the mark IHS, the circular shallow medallion has the year 1558 carved into it. The original position of the lintel is unknown, but it could have belonged to any of the nearby chapels, which no longer exist today.
Trail length: 22,5 km Total ascent: 363 m Ground: asphalt, macadam, rock, soil
Time: 6 h Difficulty: easy
Time: 3h Difficulty: moderately demanding